|You may feel anxious as you prepare for surgery. Knowing what to expect can help you feel more in control. Talk to your provider about how to get ready for surgery. Also be sure you understand the risks of surgery.
Before the Day of Surgery:
- Stop taking some medications (including aspirin) for a certain number of days before surgery.
- If you smoke, stop as long as possible before surgery.
- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight before surgery. This includes chewing gum and mints. You may brush your teeth but do not swallow the water when you rinse.
- Arrange ahead of time for an adult to drive you home
- If it is prescribed, take medication to clean out your bowels the day before surgery. Your provider can give you more details about this.